Berliners like to think up witty nicknames for buildings in their city. The 47-metre-high restaurant over the metro station at Schloßstraße is known as the “Bierpinsel” (beer brush). True, the uncustomary shape might be identified with a shaving brush. And as the building had been designated as a restaurant, the name stuck.
The Tower Restaurant in Steglitz opened in 1976. It was the first building designed by this young husband-and-wife team Ralf Schüler (1930 – 2011) und Ursulina Schüler-Witte (*1933), to attract broad public attention. The angular, overhanging top was originally clad in plastic of signal red. Other design elements were facing concrete and bright paint. Visible from a distance, the tower marked the metro station under the building, designed in the same style with jazzy colours. Today this ensemble is valued as an outstanding example of post-war modernism in Berlin. Since 2017 it has been a listed building, unlike the International Congress Centre Berlin (ICC) which established the worldwide reputation of Schüler and Schüler-Witte.
Tower Restaurant Steglitz
13 x 18 cm
Endowment from the architects, 2010